Thursday, December 19, 2013

Catholic Education and the Common Core, Part 1

After attending a PTO meeting at our parish school last month where the adoption and implementation of the Common Core was discussed, I left with way more concerns than I arrived with.

The presenters showed a video (www.commoncoreworks.org) to explain "why" they're adopting the Common Core. They need uniform measuring sticks so that everyone can succeed in preparing for college or the work force, according to the video. So I asked if there was an issue in the past with subpar performance? No, I was assured, out students always out perform their public school peers when they get to middle or high school.

I also asked, what makes the parish school different than the public school if you're going to adopt the same standards? "Character development. We can tell the students, 'no, that's wrong.' They can't do that in the public school."

Administrators talked about how they are already meeting and surpassing the Common Core standards at the school, yet teachers talked about being intimidated by the standards and having to re-teach subjects and helping students through these "very hard" assignments.  There was no "dumbing-down" of what had been taught in the past, that's for sure...

Repeatedly we were told students need to taught the skills necessary to prepare them to succeed in life. Sometimes "success" was replaced with "go to college or get a good job." A repeated example used was that of the ability to count to 100...so that students could learn to manage money and balance a budget. But even that can be done in a Catholic way, we were informed - by using the animals that Noah led on to the Ark to count to 100. "They can't do that in the public school."

One parent raised the issue of a letter written by Professor Gerard Bradley at Notre Dame's School of Law and signed by over 100 Catholic professors and sent to each bishop in the Country, asking them to reconsider adoption of the Common Core in their diocesan schools. Neither the teachers nor the administrators had read it, but the teacher giving the presentation had a response to it, nonetheless.

I wasn't given an opportunity to follow up my questions or questions from other concerned parents, though I raised my hand to ask others. Eye contact was made by the speaker who then would continue talking in circles. I was being bullied by a 7 grade social studies teacher; she had the floor and wasn't going to relinquish it. Other parents raised questions and objections and were treated the same way - give a manilla answer and then talk in circles until we could move on to something else that she could talk about - like how the Common Core had been in use for over 5 years in another state where she used to teach; how Common Core is necessary so that students transferring in and out of school know what to expect and teachers know where those students should be on the "stairway" of learning - she used to have 60 students a year transfer in or out; counting to 100, managing a budget, higher standards so more students can succeed...repeat. The bully pulpit was being used to talk us into resignation.

I decided my questions were maybe too broad to ask in this format - what is the purpose of a Catholic Education? How does the Common Core further that?

So, for your consideration, I decided to write to following letter to the school principal and parish priest:





Mr XXXXXXX,

About a month ago I attended the XXXXXXX School PTO meeting where the implementation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) was discussed. As a new member of the parish and a parent who is considering sending my children to XXXXXXX School, I wanted to attend this particular meeting because these new standards will affect my children for years to come.

I have read much of the standards, in particular the ELA standards as provided by the State Department of Public Instruction, as well as a lot of commentary, both pro and con, on the standards in general. I had a few questions about the CCSS and am thankful I had the opportunity to ask some of them at the November PTO meeting. However I cannot say I left the meeting without more questions.

I should preface my questions with full disclosure as to my influences so that you may know where I’m coming from on some of these questions and why I ask them. My vision of Catholic education stems in large part from Wyoming Catholic College’s philosophic vision for that institution, Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom (available as a pdf download online at www.wyomingcatholiccollege.com/academics/vision/). WCC’s vision draws from two other significant influences on my vision of Catholic education,  Fr. James V. Schall, S.J. and his vision of education as put forth in a number of his writings (bibliography at http://www9.georgetown.edu/faculty/schallj/) as well as Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, specifically his warnings against limiting education and knowledge only to empirical proofs in his Address at Regensberg (available at http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2006/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html) .

In light of these influences, my first question is simply, if the program is voluntary for Catholic schools then why is XXXXXXX adopting the Common Core? A video was shown at the meeting (from www.commoncoreworks.org) purporting to show why the CCSS is being adopted by XXXXXXX. This video states the need for uniform “measuring sticks” between different schools and districts. Yet I was informed at the meeting that XXXXXXX students consistently outperform their public school peers. If this is true then why does the School feel the need to measure (and thereby educate) XXXXXXX students by someone else’s “measuring stick,” especially if you don’t have to?

During the video, an emphasis was placed on students’ ability to “succeed.”  Yet whenever “success” was mentioned, it was accompanied by a visual graphic of dollar signs or bank notes. An example of “success” that was used in the video and repeated by XXXXXXX staff members during the meeting was the ability of students to be able to count to 100 in order to be able to handle money and therefore balance a budget. Is educational success measured solely in monetary terms?

My second question is, in your opinion what is the purpose of a Catholic education? As a parent who values the education of his children, I’d be asking this question of you, or any principal, regardless of CCSS implementation, so I am interested in your vision of Catholic education. Much of what was presented at the meeting highlighted the need to teach students the skills they need to “succeed” in life.  However, those same skills – reading, writing and counting to 100 – can be taught anywhere, so what makes a Catholic education different from a public school education?

My final question ties the first two together – how does the adoption of the CCSS promote and further a Catholic education? If the purpose of Catholic education is to strive to develop virtuous citizens and to help them come to deeper knowledge and love of God, then I believe implementation of the CCSS at XXXXXXX will fall short because this purpose is unmeasurable by any “measuring stick.” If the purpose of Catholic education is simply to train students to have the skills necessary to enter the work force or college, then this can be done at any school and there is no need for such a “Catholic education.”

My concerns with the CCSS as presented at the November meeting stem from a lack of clear answers as to why the standards are being adopted at XXXXXXX, as well as a lack of any connection between the CCSS and the purpose of a Catholic education at XXXXXXX. There was no discussion about a “Catholic education”, but only about “skills,” “success” and the “ability to measure” the same.

I thank you for your time and consideration of this letter and my questions, as well as my unsolicited opinions. Again, I am interested in your answers to my questions, in addition to touring the facility and meeting the staff members who will educate my children. Know of my prayers for you and the students of XXXXXXX School and my wishes for a peaceful and blessed Advent and Christmas.

Respectfully,

/s/



Cc: Fr. XXXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment